Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Saturday 10 November 2012

British & Irish Masters Cross Country - Belfast

A Titanic but not unexpected disappointment for me today in this, my 4th appearance in a Scotland vest. A change of venue from Stormont to Queens University playing fields should have suited me as it was a fast, 4 lap course totalling 8km. Each lap took in the perimeter of 3 playing fields, each on a different level with steep, very muddy banks to negotiate. Imagine Brancumhall but with 2 to 3 times higher banks but similar degrees of quagmire on the soft bits. Lovely! I was in the final international race covering the M35, M40 and M45 categories and having missed 2 weeks of training completely with injury and sporadic training since September with a lower back injury, I knew I could be in trouble. With 6 per country per age group giving a field of 90, my only option was to start off cautiously and see if I could work my way through. The cautious start went to plan as I immediately found myself second last but unfortunately that is where I stayed until with one and a half laps to go I managed to ease past a team mate and hold on to third last but still 4th counter for the team (we had a DNS due to flu). My worst ever race result and as Russell said to me on Thursday, now you know how I feel! Scotland did have successes in other age groups, particularly F50 and multiple world record holder Fiona Mathieson who won her category out the park and was 5th overall in the F35 to F60 race. Phenomenal.

As for me, it was perhaps an omen that I forgot to bring my watch, so no time to report. And the message is that at this level, any missed training, injuries or illness and you will be found out. So either shape up or ship out (but maybe not on the Titanic, the exhibition of which is well worth a visit by the way).
Alan


No comments: