Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Saturday 27 March 2010

Nigel Barge Memorial Road Race

Thanks to Richard Lawton for the following race report:


As other Harriers are preparing for tomorrow’s Grangemouth 10K, I decided to continue to do the Maryhill Harriers annual 10K memorial race which had been postponed from early January due to snow.

The course is a 2 lap route with a tough uphill start but at the top of the hill the Maryhill Harriers got the big gate open so unlike the Glasgow University Road Race there was no small gate for all the runners to get through. This allowed a smoother running experience for the 160 runners in attendance. The route took you down towards the canal, turn left and run parallel to the canal, then left again and head back to Maryhill Road and into the science park before doing a second lap.

It was a windy Saturday afternoon with slight rain but provided good running conditions. With a fast first lap I developed a stitch which caused me to walk for 10 metres after the 5K mark then run for 100 metres then stop again. I re-gained my performance and from the 7K mark I began to re-gain what was left of obtaining a half decent time (for me), achieving a fast last 1K. I managed to produce a time of 49:57, 106th. I admit not the best time but you win some you lose some and there is always next time.

Good luck for everyone who is running in Grangemouth tomorrow.

Richard

No comments: