Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Thursday 4 June 2009

Callander Crags Race - Summer Edition

Even at the weekend it seemed unlikely that I would be doing my local race, what with the nose doing more running than my legs, however a few days of sunshine made all the difference and so it was that I found myself after work stuck in traffic on Wednesday evening trying to get through the Clyde Tunnel to head for Callander for a 7:30pm race start.

Late arrivals have worked for Martin Duthie for many years but this time it was my turn to arrive at the race 12 minutes before the start still in my work clothes. You can do a lot in 12 minutes; I entered the race, got changed in the street (apologies to the residents of Tulipin Crescent), pinned my number on and went for a 3 minute sprint up the first part of the hill to get my heart going (even more). Then we were off; a field of about 40 ranging from 6 year olds to super vets launched immediately up the narrow path for a 1 mile continuous, very steep ascent. Lungs burning, I worked my way through to a clear second place early on in the climb and maintained that to the cairn at the top, aware that I would be nowhere on the descent. However, only one person passed me on the rough, cross country half mile descent and another just before we hit the tarmac road (Richard from the TTC last year). On the road I was back in my element and quickly regained third place and recovered some strength before the sting in the tail, back in to the forest climbing again for a half mile before a final 200m downhill to the finish. 25:34, 3rd overall and 1st vet. Not my worst time by a long way and a minute and a half quicker than I did in January, so quite happy with that. A race to recommend to all.

3 comments:

athelite said...

Are you joking - that race report hardly screams of a race to 'recommend'!
Well done Coach.
C.

Martin Duthie said...

Well done coach, good performance. Pleased to see my much under estimated race preparation being put to good use. It's not for the feint hearted, so I'd recommend seeking medical advice before giving it a go.

The more observant of you will have noticed me using this technique last weekend. I'd 7 hours waiting in a mini bus to get ready for my leg and was still rushing at the last minute. A bus load of pensioners didn't know what they were taking on when they tried to race me to the bogs at The Green Wellie Shop.

Although it was nice of Malcolm to go slow on his leg to give me a few more minutes to prepare. Much appreciated Malcolm, just as well none of those pensioners were on your leg.

MalcolmB said...

Martin, I was the pensioner on my leg!