Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Tuesday 9 August 2016

Dunoon Toward for a Tenner

I was very envious and felt I was missing out hearing everyone at the Club making arrangements for Islay so although it was a bit last minute I signed up for this new race which is only in its second year. This year they added a 10K to the Half (that’s two races not 31K !).

I’m trying to get into half marathon shape (or any shape after my holidays) so rather than pound the roads of Auldhouse on my own I thought it would be good to get a bit of a competitive edge in a race.

An easy drive down to Gourock and a short ferry trip made was in contrast to the trials and tribulations of the Islay transport arrangements. I had the full family in tow and had almost persuaded Frances to run the 10K however it would have meant she would have had to curtail her social activities on Friday night and unfortunately the Torrance won.

Registration was in the renovated pier building but we were so early I had to watch the rest of the family get stuck into breakfast rolls while I sat with my fruit bread. Having watched the Mo Farrah documentary on Thursday and the benefits of caffeine I thought I would try a wee expresso for an extra kick.

The course is out and back  along the coast, with a small loop around the Toward lighthouse. The start and finish are a couple of hundred metres apart. This year they had reversed the start and finish points so rather than re-measure the marker points they just had them as a countdown (as in miles to go rather than miles done, although you had to think twice a few times during the race).

I met ex harriers David Wardrope and Scott Hill on the start line. Scott is a weekend resident in Dunoon and part of the organising group. They are trying to generate a bit of life back into the town and the race was partly Scott’s idea based on some of his training runs. They are delighted that numbers are well up on last year, with 250 in the Half and another 100+ in the 10k.

Everything was in order for the 11am start as we gathered on the esplanade. The announcer on the PA covered just about everything (including Scottish Athletics “no earphones”) apart from the fact there were 3 concrete bollards about 10m after the start. Luckily the guy in front of me happened to mention it, as I’m told there were a few casualties when the masses came through.

I had decided I wasn’t at race pace form and was going to target a 4:20/km pace which would get me back around 1:33. Off we went and straight into what the locals call a stiff breeze but felt like a full on wind. I picked my way through and soon caught up with Scott and a group all running at a the right pace for me. The first couple of miles passed by quite quickly. It was good to have Scott on my shoulder pointing out the features, including the park benches every 50m or so which were a bit of a hazard on a narrow footpath when the pack was still quite tightly bunched.    It was enjoyable in the pack for a while but they soon realised the strength of the wind and gradually decided to ease off.  I think its only fair that everyone takes a turn at the front given the battering we were getting from the wind but there were a few in the pack who were just along for the ride. As we neared the turn the pack thinned out but I was happy running strictly on my km splits. At the turn I had to reign myself in a few times just to keep it steady. I’m not usually one for running such a disciplined race but was happy to let a few get away as they picked up the pace for the return. The sun came out and for a while it got very warm. We didn’t seem to get same wind on the way back, or at least I didn’t feel as though I was being blown along. It was pretty lonely on the way back but I was still picking a few people off. I lifted it in the last mile to pick up another few places to finish in 1:30:41, 30th overall and 8th MV45 which was far better than I had expected. I never really felt as though I was struggling at any point but then again I’m not sure I had much more speed in me.  More miles, more pace needed.

It was a really enjoyable event. Its not got the whisky prizes or club BBQ of Islay but for those not at the Club event its a good substitute and a decent quality of field. Its certainly a flat course although definitely one that could suffer from the weather.

Scott had a niggle towards the end which slowed him down but being a “local celeb” he got interviewed at the finish. It amazes me why they give people that know nothing about running a mic but Scott done well when the guy asked about how long the head wind lasted and Scott answered “to the turn!”

Davie wasn’t also on top form either but enjoyed his run.

It was a reasonable field and the first 3 ladies were all (well) ahead of me. The winning time ... no idea but I know it wisnae me !

We spent another couple of hours in Dunoon but the planned putting and tennis fell to the storm that blew in and turned the summer afternoon into something that felt like the middle of December.

Very enjoyable event and as Arnie says “I’ll be back “
Phimi

1 comment:

Davie Searil said...

All you need to complete that picture is a knotted hankie and an ice-cream. Oh, and some sunshine!