Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Saturday 7 November 2015

MUD, MUD AND EVEN MORE MUD

Well after todays race im sure weve all got beautiful skin. Never had a mud pack like that and it took a long shower to get it all off. After lots of rain and bearing in mind that Bellahouston park likes to hold water the cross country course was to put it nicely WATERLOGGED. First off was our Ladies with 4 Harriers taking part. A slight change to course midweek due to some digging going on this gave us a slightly downhill start heading to the centre of the flattish area of the park and what we can now call the deep end. It wasn't long before the Ladies faced there first deep puddle which the whole field ploughed through on their first of 2 laps. They then headed up towards the corner of the park and onto the usual route at the far end. This was its usual cut up route which had been made worse with the earlier junior races. Definitely a day for making sure the laces where tight. As they headed back towards the end of the 1st lap the field was getting well strung out with Scottish athlete of the year Laura Muir leading a very competitive field. Our first Lady to pass by was Joanne McEvoy getting back to some good form after the disappointment of Cumbernauld. Next by was Frances Maxwell side by side with Alison Lessells and not much later was Kay Conneff making her debut in this event and clearly enjoying the mud as she had a big smile on her face. All on lap 2 now and the mud getting deeper all the ladies kept a good pace going with the finishing order being Joanne (17.22) 82nd place, Alison (18.04) 98th place,  Frances (18.06) 100th place and Kay (19.28) 128th place from a field of 173. Next up was the Men with 9 Harriers taking part. Andrew J Buchanan was unsure how to pace this race and was disappointed the Alan couldn't make it today as he planned to use him as a pacer. Advice given to keep it comfortable and go for it on the 2nd lap seemed to work as Andrew was the 1st Harrier home. As we lined up on the start Hugh and big John nearly missed the off and found themselves starting next to me which is a bit harsh as I normally get a wee starty on them. Through the big puddle we went with some runners grunting a bit as the cold water got in everywhere. Not long after this we had the first incline which needless to say was muddy and I felt the twinge in my calf that I had felt at the start of the week and thoughts were running through my head aw no. I canny have my calf go with Brampton next week. Just had to maintain a good pace without putting too much pressure on it. I felt really strong in the mud so was able to maintain a good pace without damaging it as its ok now. The field was stretching out by now and after a slowish start Colin Banks was moving through well having now passed Hugh and big John. As we moved onto the 2nd lap I found myself in an unusual position in this event with plenty of runners strung out behind me. yes you read that right, behind me. I had one beside me but he was clearly struggling and by half way round the lap I had dropped him. I had a gent from Giffnock chasing me towards the finish so that kept me honest as I was not going to allow anyone passed and had a good strong finish. The finishing order of the Harriers today was Andrew J Buchanan (15.31) 191st place, David Herbertson (16.35) 263rd place, Jim Holmes (17.21) 288th place, Stuart Waugh (17.55) 299th place and 1st M65, Richard Lawton (18.30) 311th place, Colin Banks (19.12) 322nd place, John McBride (19.33) 327th place, Hugh Simpson (20.15) 333rd place and Russell Couper (21.00) 334th place from a field of 339. Many thanks to Maud and Kevan for coming along to support us and the many other supporters on the course cheering us on.

3 comments:

Andrew J Buchanan said...

Great course to run and great to see so many people running

Anonymous said...

Interesting fact here Andrew, last year I ran 15.31 and was also 191st place! What are the chances, same name, same time, same position!
Andy b

Andrew J Buchanan said...

That is scary !