Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Monday 1 August 2011

Tour of Fife Day 5 - "The Conclusion - but is it King or Queen?"

It’s finally arrived, the last race of the series! I had been looking forward to this one, as it‘s a great mixed multi-terrain course. However, the car park gossip was that they had changed the route, so I went off to investigate. Sure enough it’s true, something to do with the replanting of trees. The new course is now 5.1 mile consisting of 800 mtrs of a cabbage field (2 sides really and all uphill), about three quarters of a mile on the tar, then up through the woods, up on to a rocky ledge, along there to a cone and back. The “and back bit” I liked, but knew it was going to be tough on the way out.


This being the last day it was fancy dress, some clubs really went for it with wrist and ankle bands, and quite a few with their face painted. John from Shettleston and Vivienne from Kirkintilloch were on their honeymoon and John ran in a tuxedo, with Viv in a wee white number! All the girls at Corstorphine, which club colours are black and white, had been wearing long socks with cow patterns. All helped the carnival atmosphere.

Down to business. So, we’re off up the cabbage field in 2 straight lines, running in the grooves in the ground made by the farmer’s tractor wheels. Soon we’re on the tarmac which is quite undulating. I remember my old veteran pal, George Black putting his arm across me last year and telling me to just wait, as there’s a hell of a climb coming. Who am I to argue with a 70 yr old vet? So, I decided to just let our Julie go in the hope that I’d either catch her on the downhill or she’s be lying in a heap towards the top. I thought that this new route wasn’t as bad as last year, but as you keep twisting and climbing, well you end up walking...and so was everyone around me. Julie was still looking strong and not that far ahead. She past me at the turn, but I was still climbing and Julie was on her way back down. I heard a shout, no idea what it was, but I’ll assumed words of encouragement. I really bombed it down the hill in a faint hope of catching her, but as I hit the bottom she was nowhere in sight. I managed to keep it steady with no-one passing me at all, and was just glad that it was all finally over.

Afterwards we all congregated in the village hall where there was a great tea and cakes spread put on for everyone.

First male was Lewis Millar from Central winning all 5 races and holding on to the yellow jersey throughout. He was 2min 16sec ahead of Corstorphine in the end. Both of these clubs made up the final 4 places.

The female race was won by Julia Henderson from Helensburgh by 2mins 2 sec, she managed to win 4 out of the 5 being narrowly caught in the beach race.

In terms of us bunch...........

Results – Julie's sister, Louise 4th female 35.12 (46th position), Julie 11th female 37.40 (65th position) and George 38.53 (81st position).

Overall - Julie’s sister, Louise 4th female 2.28.26 (47th position), Julie 9th female in age group 2.36.37 (61st position) and George 2.39.32.....2min 55sec behind! (71st position)

Well done Julie!!...... a hard fought 5 days, and think you may be the cause of my 2 PB’s. Next year will be different!
George

2 comments:

CoachAD said...

Very well done to Louise, Julie and George on a great series of performances and to George for keeping us on tenterhooks waiting for the next installment of how he got whipped!
Alan

Anonymous said...

I must thank George for his excellent reports about the tour. It was great having another Harrier on the tour and I think we both helped each other to achieve good times during the various races. I can't wait to try it again next year!

Julie