Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Saturday 6 August 2011

Tour of Clydeside Day 4

My efforts on the Hills at Garscube had moved me up from 14th to 12th going into tonight's 10k. The Garscube girl had a 17 second lead on me and her club mate wasn't far behind so I had my work cut out. Boosted by my performance last night I decided to go out quickly and see if I could open up a lead. If I had thought about it I would have realised that the garscube pair were faster than me on the flat!
The race had changed from previous years to go anti-clockwise round the park. So with poor race strategy in hand off we set at a fair old pace. Stuart Gibson was running and he disappeared into the park, the next time I seen him was when he was cooling down and I was at 8km. I went through 5k in 19:20 which was a bit fast but the garscube pair weren't in site. It was hurting now and the anti-clock seemed harder with a few long climbs. At 8km the Garscube pair went past and my legs went. Another couple went past and I was now running against the clock trying to keep the gap down.
Finished in 39:26 a pb by 6 secs but it didn't feel like a good run not being able to hold off the pack in the last few km. Stuart won the race.
Overall I was 2hr 5 min 38 s which gave me 14th place. The girl from Garscube won first lady and 12th place. There was a chance to meet up in the Cartha clubhouse afterwards. A few prizes at various categories but the MV40 was a busy category so nothing but a cup of soup and a fairy cake for me.
That's the 3rd time in 4 years for the Tour and I still enjoyed it. Not looking forward to the physio session tomorrow though.  

No comments: