Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Wednesday 14 September 2011

Doon the Watter - Round Cumbrae 10 Mile Road Race


Ninety-nine fools, to quote Russell from an earlier Chatelherault report, raced/leaned into the dying embers of Hurricane Katia last week-end. Predictably I ran much better than in the warm Glasgow weather of the previous Sunday, I must be a masochist to actually enjoy running in such awful weather.
I staggered over the finishing line in 79:26 being delighted to duck under 8 mins/mile in a race for the first time in ages and to finish as leading harrier, possibly for the first time ever and, no, I wasn’t the only one before you ask/assume. Benny Rooney was also well pleased with his time of 81:13 following a thirty mile bike ride on the mainland prior to hopping over on the ferry as practice for his upcoming Ironman. All the best for that Benny and I hope your bike/run transition is a bit shorter next time!
To paraphrase football journalists this was very much a race of two halves, the first being wheeched up the east side of the island faster than my legs wanted to go and the second seemingly running on the spot down the western side. With no black and gold competition to chase I contented myself with hunting down Clydesdale and Seaforth Harriers instead although I didn’t see much of them having to keep my head well down most of the way.
As you can imagine there weren’t the usual groupings hanging around at the finish, chatting, eating ice-creams and cheering on their clubmates, most of the earlier finishers having sensibly headed in the direction of hot showers, pubs, etc – so much so that I didn’t get the chance to talk to the race winner, our erstwhile clubmate Stuart Gibson now of RonHill Cambuslang who won in a speedy 53:08.
I hope my fellow harriers will forgive me for not keeping up the tradition of a post-race dook in the sea due to the huge waves crashing onto the beach, I will try to restore order again next year.

Davie Searil

Well done to Davy for continuing the Harriers' spirit.
Alan

1 comment:

Davie Searil said...

Sorry, that should have read 8 minute-miling not 80 minutes!