Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Tuesday 12 April 2022

Manchester Marathon 2022

In total, there were 8 Harriers competing in the marathon. This included 2 first timers and 2 PB’s. The team included Gerry McParland (2:58:31), Ian Rae (3:46:16), Julie Thomson (3:59:24, even though Strava made it faster because she did an extra half mile), John Mullen (4:07:55), Carly Reid (4:24:34), Anne McLellan (4:29:56) and me (4:52:52). Both Julie and Anne recorded a PB. Kevin Farmer also competed but realised 6 miles in that he did not have another 20 miles in him at that point. Just as well he realised at 6 and not 16. That would have been a very long walk home. Kevin had done some great training runs; it is just a shame he did not get to finish the last wee bit. Always another marathon Kevin. In more disappointing news, Richard Beaton (dad) tested positive for Coronavirus on the Tuesday before the race and was unable to run or join us. Silver lining though, Carly and I got a free room since he didn’t have free cancelation. At least he got a lovely £400 t-shirt and finished the run training for Keswick half Iron Man in the summer. 

The 26.2-mile course involved a lot of out and back which I personally don’t like too much in a race. Its hard seeing faster people nearly finished when you still have half a race to go. The good thing was that it gave lots of us a chance to shout a hello when we saw another black and yellow vest which is always nice to see. 

Our day ended with dinner in the Salford Quays Harvester, and I got my roast dinner I had been going on and on about to poor Julie for weeks. I just think it is nice to have a goal. 

Another special well done to a new Harrier recruit, Emma Hughes, and her partner Big John Elerby who are dad and I’s training partners from G72 Tri. They ran together in Emma’s first (and not last) marathon in 4:37:26. Emma has President McLellan’s permission to join, and she plans

For me, this was a day I was dreading. I hated the training, I hated the anticipation, and I hated the pressure of it. Luckily for me, the first 20 miles of the race were actually not too bad. I consulted with Coach Alan beforehand and was given a plan to help me get through it. The plan was to run 3 miles and walk for 5 minutes, forcing me to recover (a little), refuel and take some water. I did this the full time until I saw the long awaited 20-mile post. And then I was angry it didn’t say 26 miles. Who cares, it’s over and I had a fab weekend. 




































































A very big thank you to everyone who accompanied every one of us on our long runs. They would be miserable to do alone. Special thanks to Starky who would often do my long run and then join Julie for hers the same weekend. Ultra-running is mad, but it makes them good cheerleaders. Thank you to everyone for their constant support and kind messages to us all. We were very touched. 
Enjoy a lovely picture of my dog wearing my medal and carrying my welcome home present, keys.
Morgan



 

4 comments:

Anne McLellan said...

Great weekend of running and laughter had by all. Looking forward to the next one Morgan 🀣

Julie Thomson said...

Brilliant report and weekend Morgan, looking forward to the next one too Anne ����.

As Morgan said thanks to everyone for the support and kind wishes and big thanks to everyone who helped out with the training miles when they could, particularly Richard Stark thanks again ����

Julie

Anonymous said...

A fine report Morgan, truimph and tears along the way and that was me just reading itπŸ˜‰, well done to all a great achievement which was worked hard for during a long winter's training.πŸ‘πŸ‘

Billyb

Alison Lessells said...

Great report Morgan and well done again to all of you.