Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Monday 17 February 2020

First UP First Down

In early February I headed up to rural Perthshire for the Strathearn trail and hill running festival. Based only a short run form Crieff Hydro there were races across all lengths from 3k to the half marathon. I was due to run on Saturday evening at the Dark 10K. As night was falling across the Perthshire hills, a dry and calm evening was in store with views over towards Lawers and Killin in the distance. Despite these conditions, I expected a waterlogged and boggy course due to the recent weather. when almost Dark and the warm-up complete the hooter started and we were off, 100 or so daft hill, trail and ultra runners dash into the night. The course began with a lap of the golf course which was very slippy as the man in front of me found out to his cost with a dive that Neymar would have been proud of. Over the golf course and down into the trails we ran, up to knee height in the water at times. The first hill was soon upon us. At this point, I was sitting in fourth place, determined not to blaze away too quickly. A run to the top of the second hill followed at this point I was leading with a small group of five just behind. The next kilometre was fairly flat and I lost the group all but one. I was running easily and freely as the course began to climb and bend, it was just me and one other runner. I could hear his laboured breathing and I knew he was at his maximum. Cat and mouse followed as I began to increase the pace. the final climb over the knock and parent hill was steep and craggy, I ran the entire route to the summit. This pulled me away from the second placer. The descent was slippy and I knew i just had to keep pushing and I would be the first runner comfortably. Leading a race is a strange feeling and as this was night run it was just a trail of headlights. I couldn't tell who was behind. A final climb and fast trail descent followed all that passed me was a very athletic deer. Down to the finish and there it was a 1st place, new Dark course record and a 2 and half minute win. Here's hoping this is first of many. A very tasty Italian followed and another race added to the long list for the year ahead.

Chris

6 comments:

CoachAD said...

Well done Chris. It's a nice feeling running away from the rest of the field! Where's the club vest though :-)
Alan

Kenny said...

Chris, congratulations on your win, the first of many I hope.

cmccarron said...

Thank you, club vest was at the hotel in a rush

Jim Mearns said...

Well done Chris. Fantastic win. And any race report with a footballing analogy has my interest.

BillyB said...

Great run Chris,leading from the front and never got lost well done ��
BillyB

StephenP said...

Well done. I wouldn't know what it was like to lead a race !