Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Sunday 12 May 2019

MONKLANDS HALF MARATHON

Well that was a warm one. 11 Harriers lined up today for the Monklands Half and we were joined by a couple of past members Kay Conneff and Neil Green sporting his Giffnock North vest.
4 Ladies and 7 men for the Harriers arrived at the start and jokers declared a few warm ups and onto the start line. Were off and the first 150 metres or so is run on the grass which is a bit bumpy in places so you need to watch for twisted ankles and thankfully all the Harriers made it off this section in one piece. We then head uphill towards the golf centre on the verge of the road again slightly dodgy until you hit pavement at the brow of the hill. I could see at this point that Gerry McParland was near the front of the field with Andy Buchanan, Julie Beveridge, Kevin Farmer, Jim Holmes and David Wardrope in hot pursuit. Karen Allen was not far behind taking an easier start and Lorraine Buchanan at this point had just passed me. Down to the water centre and a sharp left into Drumpellier park for the first of 3 times on this section. Not long into the park and Gordon McInally passed me and was slowly moving away but I was running slightly faster than plan. Through 2 miles and I felt the first tightness in the hamstring that ive had problems with this week so just eased ever so slightly and it done the trick and at this point Julie Thomson came past also like Karen opting for a slightly easier start. Down hill to the main road and and were on the first long loop of 4.9 miles. Running well and still running inside the pace I set myself of 1.58. Through mile 4 and Lorraine was out of sight and Gordon and Julie T were still moving away but both within a minute of me. Another right turn with a little down hill before the biggest hill on the course and a real slog. Definetly need some hill training as I struggled this mile but this was ok as I had plenty time in the bag from the first 4. It still climbs after this but only slightly and the pace was back on track as we hit mile 6 going back into the park. By this point Gordon and Julie T had disappeared but I was comfortable in my pace. Exiting the park I hadn't been passed by the leaders which is the first time in years that's happened but I was feeling the heat from a strong sun. Through mile 8 and although losing a little of my earlier pace I still had time in the bank. mile 9 and I had to stop and give the hamstring a little massage as it was getting real tight. still got 16 seconds in the bank through mile 9 and if needed I have another 2 mins to get under the 2 hrs. Mile 10 and this incorporates the big hill again and I struggled even more this time with the heat and a dodgy hamstring. All of a sudden from being on pace I was 1.20 outside it and the next 3 miles weren't going to get any better having to stop and massage the leg several times.
Mile 11 back in the park and ive lost another minute, mile 12 and another 2.20 lost, mile 13 and another 2.30 lost. What a horrible end to a run that was going so well. Back onto the grass for the last 0.1 mile and I got the pace back but I was done and felt baked with the sun. Over to the gathering of Harriers to see how everyone did and Julie Beveridge has a nice shiny trophy in her hands, 2nd Lady and 18th overall in a time of 1.29.37 . Our first Harrier home was Gerry in a time of 1.23.12 and 6th place, Andy 1.30.14 21st, Karen 1.37.09 5th Lady, Jim Holmes 1.39.41, David Wardrope 1.43.40, Julie T 1.53.42 and a massive PB, Gordon 1.54.01 and an excellent time considering where his times have been this year. Next was Lorraine with 1.57.09 and also a massive PB although Lorraine did tell me her pace really dropped off in the latter stages again like me she doesn't do strong sunshine well. Finally Russell 2.05.09, not what I was looking for but all things considered it was still 6 mins better than last year. Unfortunately Kevin didn't finish dropping out about 4 miles and just wasn't feeling it today. Kay Conneff ran an excellent 1.39.18 6th Lady and Neil Green in his first half finished 2nd in 1.20.23 . Well organised again by North Lanarkshire

No comments: