Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Monday 18 February 2019

Strathaven Striders Run With (Into) The Wind half marathon

Nine harriers made the short journey to an extremely windy Strathaven yesterday for the fifth running of the inaccurately named Run With The Wind half marathon. Some major course adjustments had been made and I, among many, remarked afterwards that it felt both harder and hillier than in previous years. Russell made a superb job of finding a space in the very busy car park leaving us only around twenty meters to walk to the gate, I was even more grateful for that after the race!

Just as I was leaving the Academy I spotted Strider's ultra-running stalwart Irene Wilson with a 100th balloon attached to her waist and, upon asking the obvious question, it turned out that we were both about to run our hundredth half marathon that day. Someone took a photie to mark the occasion, wish I'd thought to bring a cake as Irene did! That's two thousand, six hundred and twenty miles of half-marathon racing between us!
One hundred up -Irene smiling and me looking gawky as ever just before the off

Between the much-changed first mile or so and the different aspect to the next couple due to forestry felling I felt disorientated and was struggling, not coping at all well with the strong and gusting wind.

Having told me he would be tracking me for pace Billy soon realised I was way too slow for him and eased away after a mile or so and was soon lost to sight.
I slogged along ever-so-slowly catching Sandy and eventually, just after the eleven mile mark, the strong-running Russell.

Perhaps not surprisingly, given the mileage I've been putting in, I came good over the last two or three miles and finished with a couple of sub-8:30s for 2.00.13. I wasn't at all surprised when Russell came over the line soon after, in 2.01.55. His London training is clearly paying dividends already.

Sandy Hayden may have been final harrier but raised the biggest cheer of the day from the watching combined ranks of harriers and AthEliters, coming home in 2.05.19, rather impressive and a tribute to her strength of will given her lack of training.

Naturally I saw nothing of the racing ahead of me so can mostly only report times. You will not be shocked to learn that leading harrier was Julie Beveridge in 1.35.37 for 4th female, second F35 and 49th overall. Superb running in those conditions Julie.

The inimitably cheery Martin Howell came home in 1.37.16 having had a battle with friend Ian Birch of Bellahouston Harriers and only being pipped to the line by nine seconds.

Despite trying to do two things at once, simultaneously training for ultras and a marathon, yet running stronger than I've ever known him was Jim Mearns in 1.40.47. actually saying he 'enjoyed' himself despite (because of?) the conditions.

Having had a bad day at the office was Kevin Farmer, having (I think, correct me if I heard that wrong Kev) walked at one point, in 1.42.08

Despite looking very sleepy earlier in the day Karen Allen woke up to finish in an excellent 1.43.01 and only twenty six seconds shy of the tenth placed female.

Next harrier home was Billy (I'll just follow you Davie...aye, right!) Buchanan in an superb 1.51.26 and sixth M60.

A big shout out for their support on what was at times a thoroughly miserable day (or was that just me?) goes to the Howell family, Frances, Chas and Charlie - it all helps guys. I heard Frances even played the good samaritan and not only assisted a distressed runner but also gave him a run (in the car) back to Strathaven, from Ardochrig! Hope you got him to sign a membership form Frances, Geo tells me he was unattached!

The race winners were Douglas Roberts of Cambuslang Harriers in 1.14.42 and Sheena Logan of Fife AC in 1.26.45 and 13th overall.

I've put a few photos into an album which you can see here Run With The Wind. Credits go to Frances Ferguson, Lorraine Howell and Derek Stewart.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Fantastic running everyone in very challenging circumstances.

CoachAD said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Karen said...

Well, it was brutal but I sort of enjoyed it too.
My pre-race plan was to keep it sensible and steady and I stuck to it. But when I look at my position in results I have to wonder if I could have pushed myself from 11th into the 'Top Ten'..... or just pushed myself right over the edge lol!
Good to get a run like that done in February and one I'll enter again.
Ps- thanks to those who suggested I layered up and put on my long-sleeve and buff!

CoachAD said...

Thanks for a great report. Little did us Harriers know as we were stood looking at the stage watching Irene get presented with her cake for doing 100 half marathons that you were also achieving the same milestone on Sunday as well. Well done!

Reading your comments about the course it makes me feel a bit better today when I reflect back on it all. My time yesterday was only about a minute quicker than when I ran this back in 2015 - when it was snowing. I was a bit disappointed when I finished yesterday. I knew before hand it was not going to be a quick half-marathon but I thought I would have done a lot better than what I did. I never settled into this race yesterday at all and reading your comments about it being hiller and harder maybe puts things into a better perspective.

Given the conditions and course there were some really good performances yesterday by the Harriers and perhaps training sessions such as the Lickprivick hill reps helped towards this.
Julie

Davie Searil said...

Sorry Karen, I hadn't noticed - you were only 26 seconds off tenth place! Must try harder next time, me that is... :-)