Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Sunday 18 September 2016

Scottish Masters XC Team Trial - Tollcross Park

Stuart Waugh striding out
I don't think I have ever been sun burned at a Scottish cross country race, so Saturday afternoon in a gloriously warm Tollcross Park was a first. Four Harriers (Stuart Waugh, Andy Henderson, Russell Couper and myself) were out, answering the call to Scottish Veteran Harriers members to race for their place in the Scotland team for this year's British & Irish Masters Cross Country International which this year is hosted by Scotland and will be in Tollcross Park on 12th November. The selection criteria were clear; for those age groups consisting of a 6 man team (M35, M40, M45, M50), the first three in the trial would be selected, the remaining three being chosen at the selectors' discretion. For the age groups consisting of a 4 man team (M55, M60, M65, M70 and M75), the first two in the trial would be selected and the remaining two would be chosen at the discretion of the selectors. The ladies and M65 and above competed over 6km (3 laps of the course) whereas the other age groups competed over an 8km course (4 laps).

At 1pm Stuart lined up in a competitive field for a very fast downhill start. The organisers had done well to avoid the biggest, steepest hills in Tollcross Park such that the lap was merely undulating; rarely flat but certainly not mountaineering! I have a feeling that the British & Irish Masters will love this course, unlike the very severe test in Bellahouston Park 4 years ago. Stuart started quite fast, leading a handful of his age group contenders. The fast start soon strung the field out and by the end of the first lap it was very much a procession with places more or less established. At the finish, Stuart was in 5th position in his age group in a time of 27:01. As this is only Stuart's second race for months, he will get sharper with every race, so there is still time to make an impression on the selectors.

I had strained my calf on the TTC mountain bike recce two weeks ago and had been struggling all week since the TTC, just jogging on grass to keep some fitness. A scheduled massage session on Saturday morning was my last hope to get the calf eased off enough to race. A light, pre-race warm-up leg massage on all but the injured calf was carried out in expert style by Grant McLullich at The Treatment Hub in Hamilton (remember that Harriers get a 10% discount from Grant). When he moved on to the right calf, he immediately noticed that the soleus was extremely tight and he worked on this much harder. This did the trick as I was able to move and stretch the calf pain free on jumping down from the table! A big thanks to Grant.

As the temperature climbed another degree or so, the field for the 8k race lined up for a 2pm start. This was also a very competitive field and I could see many of the M50's I am usually in contention with for team selection. As I had not run in spikes since the National in February, I thought I might just run in road shoes as the course was firm and I was worried about my calf. However, I could feel the calf when striding out in road shoes on the warm-up. A quick change to spikes and a few fast sprints proved that the flatter, lower sole of the spikes was changing the load on my calf and there was no pain. So spikes it was. With a brief explanation of the course, we were soon off, charging downhill. Given that at least half the field were in age groups younger than me, my plan was to let them all go at the start and then gradually pick off those in my age group who had started too fast. By about half way around the first lap, I could see 5 or 6 M50's in front of me (age identified by a number on their back) and I was able to cruise past two of them to take me into 5th place. By the end of the lap, I had moved through into 4th place. However, half way around the second lap, I began to feel very light headed and slowed a lot, being re-passed by two M50's who established a 10m gap. I held the gap for the rest of the lap and through all of the third lap. To my relief, as we started the 4th lap, I began to close up on the two who had passed me and went straight past and away on the first slight climb. I was then closing in on one and two ahead who had now separated from each other. A short while later, I was past number 2 and closing very gradually on the leader. The last 200m consisted of a long, curving climb and then a flat 50m to the finish. I was closing fast on the hill but it flattened and the sprint for the line started just too soon for me to catch the leader, Jim Buchanan of Dumfries Running Club who crossed the line 5 seconds in front of me. However, I was happy to have done enough to satisfy the selection criteria (although we will not be officially advised of selection for another two weeks). I crossed the line in 29:44. Meanwhile, Russell had problems with a knee pain and decided to stop a few laps in. This meant he could cheer me on which was much appreciated. Also lending vocal support on the course were Alison and Rebecca who popped up at various places around the lap. Stuart and Maud were giving me accurate updates on my position each time I passed them which was extremely useful as it was impossible to know if another M50 had made a big break early on and was out of sight. Andy Henderson was making his race comeback here and did well to finish 5th M60 in 35:11. Better to make your comeback in glorious sunshine than freezing wind and rain for sure.

I cannot guarantee selection for the team but I can guarantee that the weather in November will not be as hot as it was yesterday!
Alan

2 comments:

Davie Searil said...

Well done Alan and congratulations on the (almost certain) selection

David Herbertson said...

Well done to all the guys on impressively high finishing positions even if you don't all make selection, and great to see Harriers in the mix at this level of competition, especially Stuart hopefully getting back to the form he likes to be in.

Fingers crossed for selection....
David