Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Monday 4 May 2015

Scottish 5k Road Race Championship - Silverknowes

Lately I've been on a mission to massivley improve my race times through a combination of structured training, diet and core work.  However selecting fast races with strong fields is also an excellent way to test yourself against competitive fields and bring out the best in yourself.  Several months ago I had picked out the Scottish 5k championships being held on Wednesday 29th April to be one of these such races.

Unlike recent races I decided to taper down a little in the previous 3 days, taking rest days and dropping mileage, inevitably during this time I began worrying I was "piling on the pounds" and my " legs were stiffening up" and other such nonsense but I stuck to plan and rested up.

I traveled to the race with my full entourage of support being my Mum, Dad and Sandy, leaving in plenty time to beat the rush traffic.  A very generous four and half hours before the race start time no less!  This meant I could have no trouble getting a full hours warm up done with plenty time to change, stretch and drink what is now my ritual pre race coffee.

The race itself was run on silverknowes esplanade and was pan flat with literally no elevation.  The course set off East for 800 metres before doubling back to the start and contininug for some 3k before a small loop then heading back to the start/finish again approaching from the East.  Strong westerly winds made the opening half mile and final 2km testing on the very exposed course.

For days before I had been mentally preparing to take the race on aggressively, going out very hard and giving it everything until the line and not "shy away from the suffering" when the inevitable lactic fireball reached its zenith.

From the start I set off hard (perhaps sprinting!) and unlike a previous 5k,  I refused to let myself be engulfed by the masses of fast starters.  I held the hard pace until the field around me became slightly less dense and then focused and pushing myself hard and racing those around me.  On finishing I was pleased with my time of 16.09 and 36th place.  I was most happy with how I ran regardless of time as I truly believed I had ran as hard as I could.  The feeling after the race and following days proved this to me as I felt mentally and physically exhausted.

Obviously after a few days rest the PB demons have began to raise there heads and are taunting me with the grandeurs of a sub 16- 5k or a sub 33- 10k.  It only makes sense to try and slake their demands by getting back training and having another go at pushing yourself that bit harder than you did the last time!
Andy B.

6 comments:

CoachAD said...

Well done Andy on a great PB.
Alan

Martin H said...

great report, great theoretical and technical tips and most of all great run on the day - well done Andy.

Kenny said...

Andy, a great blog and a brilliant time. Well done.

Martin Duthie said...

Well done Andy on a fantasic performance. The hard work is paying off & the PB's are coming thick & fast. l'm sure there'll be a lot more to come. Just make sure you enjoy every one. I've learned not to take them for granted.

StuartGibson said...

Well done Andy. I really struggled for the whole race and if it had been any longer you'd probably have caught me. Keep plugging away.

Anonymous said...

Well done Andy on a great run.

Julie