Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Monday 11 May 2015

Penicuik Harriers 10k

Following a plea to find a buddy to run this race, now in its 32nd year, with me, the ever reliable and intrepid Davie Searil threw his hat in the ring and entered two or three days before the off.

Getting the logistics arranged we set off in plenty of time to arrive in Penicuik with a good three quarters of an hour to spare. We registered and immediately got a feel as to how friendly a bunch the Penicuik Harriers were, very welcoming and genuinely, it seemed, delighted we had entered their race.

Having dealt with the fumbling’s of the safety pins we headed back to the car and got “race ready”. The weather had again done me a favor with the sun coming out just in time for the off.

We then headed down to the start line and were immediately drawn to spectate for a short time a very serious and competitive Archery competition that was well underway in the field adjacent to the start and finish line – fortunately the targets were positioned such that any speared runners would have needed to be seriously off course or a very errant arrow! Davie mentioned there used to be such events at our club.

A warm up took us down through the town and made us realise that the finish would involve a climb – magic!

Lining up and with the local constabulary giving their approval the starter got us underway. The usual frenetic sprint at the start sorted the field out and on this occasion I was happy to take it easy bearing in mind what I had been told to expect. Davie, likewise took his place at the start to allow a modest start – conserving the legs and lungs for what was to come.

Down through the town, we were cheered on by a decent contingent of well-wishers.

Then we made a left turn in to Pomathorn Road.

Having documented my recent Ballyliffin adventure and it’s hills I honestly didn’t think I’d be running up the likes so soon again. How wrong. Over the space of about three quarters of a mile we ascended 850 feet. Sorting the running order out significantly, I was content not to lose any positions and in the knowledge that this was a circuit race, we would reap the benefits of going back down somewhere along the line. Davie reported that near the summit he was succumbed and had to work hard to keep any running motion going.

At the top of the hill we made a right turn and thankfully the course levelled out to nothing more than gentle undulations with eventually the hoped and anticipated for steady long down section lasting for about two miles. Managing to up the pace I passed three of four runners before arriving at the outskirts of Penicuik and ultimately with the finish getting closer.

From our warm up we knew that the route to the end would involve another climb. Routing off the main street we were greeted with a 400m stinger that winded more than me. Digging in as hard as possible I peaked the hill and ran the final 200m with as much gusto as I could muster although with my finishing strength to sprint to the line these days being seriously lacking one of the runners I had passed earlier managed to jump me with 50m to go.

Interestingly, as a result of all of the recent rain the fast sharp right turn from the tarmac on to the grass leading to line had become waterlogged in places and more than one runner had a close encounter with their face in the mud, though crucially neither Davie or myself involved among the tumblers.

A junior athlete won the race in 34.15, my official time was 41.19 and Davie managed a superb 52.37 (remembering he ran the 20 mile Edinburgh to North Berwick last week and the 53 mile Hoka Highland Fling the week before!).

A short walk back to the High School was made very worthwhile by the amount of food, tea, coffee and soft drinks on offer all served by members of the Penicuik Harriers.

Fed and watered and having chewed the fat in post race analysis Davie and I set off for home in firm agreement that overall the race was very well organised, marshalled extremely effectively and the course although challenging in it’s early stages was a good test of the fitness offering a bit of everything from steep climbs to fast downhill’s.

It’d be really good if we could take a larger contingent of our Harriers to next year’s event (16th May 2016) though it falls at a time when there are many alternative events to choose from. I for one will probably chuck my hat in the ring.

Many photos of the event are to be found here (and a video too).

Martin H.


4 comments:

CoachAD said...

Great report Martin and I think we can safely say that Davie is the club's official glutton for punishment (Martin, you forgot to mention Davie's swift Auldhouse 5k on the Thursday too). Well done both. Great to see the Harriers spreading themselves about the country every weekend.
Alan

Davie Searil said...

Great report Martin, almost wish I'd been there myself - wait a minute, I was! There's one more race you and Alan have missed but it will keep as I'm finally getting somewhere with my own report of five races in fifteen days, wa
tch this space...

Anonymous said...

It's good to see other Harriers writing race reports. I find these very good in helping me to decide on future races.
These reports can give a good insight into the terrain and gradient of the course.
It is particularly pleasing to see us as a club trying races all over Scotland, with recent race reports from Andy (Scottish 5K Edinburgh) and David S (Edinburgh to North Berwick) as well as this race in Penicuik.
Great report Martin.

Julie

Martin H said...

Sorry Davie, yip, I did omit to mention Troon and the 5k TT. And you claim the wheels came off, most others wheels would be have been square by the time Penicuik came along. Your report detailing your most recent exploits was brilliant

Julie, thanks. I'm a bit impulsive when it comes to entering races and I'm really glad I decided to do this one - a thoroughly good event and a challenge too.