Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Wednesday 10 September 2014

Great North Run 2014

This was a race I went down to Newcastle to watch in 2013, having viewed it many times on TV. As I sat on the Metro from South Shields to Newcastle looking at all the runners I thought this was something I would like to take part in.

Fast forward to January 2014 and I put name in the ballot for a place in the race, mainly because Louise had entered the ballot and I did not want to go and watch it for a 2nd year in a row.  Much to my surprise I was successful in getting a place in the race while Louise missed out!

2014 was to be a special landmark for the Great North Run.  It would have its one millionth finisher, something I did not realise when I entered the race.

On race morning I found myself in the 2nd start pen and I took about a minute to cross the start line. Anyone watching this race on TV would have seen how congested it was at the beginning and if you had asked me after a mile would I do this race again I would have said no as I could hardly get into a rhythm as there was nowhere to move. However I kept going and after a few miles I began to find more space.

Looking back now the slower start probably helped me overall. I only looked at the early mile splits after the race but I could just feel that the pace of the race was too slow for my liking. I think at this point I thought the whole race was going to be too congested. This was confirmed by the fact I covered the first mile in 7.06 mins but once more space opened up I covered the second mile in 6.26 mins.

As the race progressed I found it a bit hard going due to the heat. I was still a bit concerned with my pace and after mile 5 I finally looked at my watch for the first time only to discover it had taken me 7.22 mins to cover that last mile.  I think by this stage I decided that a fast time was not going to happen today and I began to relax as I took the pressure of myself. I began to notice the crowds lining the route and the atmosphere was brilliant. I remember at one point passing a pub and there was a band playing on the roof. This was one of many bands playing along the route.

Around about mile 12 there is a downhill stretch towards South Shields promenade. Many folk would probably welcome this but I prefer uphill running and therefore I found it sore on the legs as I approached the promenade.  Louise had warned me not to start sprinting once I was on the promenade (thinking that the finish line was in sight) as there is a full mile to cover before you reach the finish line. However the amount of people out supporting the race in South Shields was unbelievable and this helped me along the final mile.  I crossed the line in 1.33.30 which, albeit by 10 seconds, was a PB. I also discovered from my Garmin that the distance I had run was 13.28 miles and not 13.10 miles (which was probably caused by me zig-zagging around about people earlier on in the race).

Looking back now I am glad I ran this race and got to run past some iconic sites, none more so than running across the Tyne Bridge. It was also a good preparation for the London marathon next year where I will inevitably experience similar crowds at the beginning.

Well done Julie on a great performance despite the congestion. A pb is a pb. You can't ask for more than that.
Alan

3 comments:

csteven said...

Well done Julie and another fantastic time.

Davie Searil said...

Well done Julie and, as Alan has said, a pb is a pb. One second would have been enough never mind ten! You'll find more room to run at London, it's nowhere near as congested as the GNR.

Martin H said...

well done Julie - it certainly looked busy, nothing more frustrating when trying to get a stride going!