Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Wednesday 6 November 2013

Glen Ogle 33/Southside Six, Back2Back

Having been unable to resist entering both these races I initially decided to wait until nearer the time before deciding which I would run, however, around three months ago, the (very) silly idea began to form in my mind that I would have a go at both.
The GO33 is, as the name suggests, a 33 miler set just up the road from the TTC area, around Lochearnhead, Balquhidder and Killin although you never actually see those places other than from a distance as the race is run almost entirely along B-roads, trails, forestry tracks and an old railway line.
Just under 200 runners set off at 8 am, the first couple of miles giving a hint of the terrain to come, i.e. constantly uphill. The first three hours were also overall uphill and run in cold, cloudy but, with hindsight, relatively pleasant conditions. At halfway (for me) the sky darkened, the wind picked up and the rain began, quickly developing into hailstones. Not reacting quickly enough I could not get my (expensive!) waterproof gloves on properly as my hands were already too cold and wet. I ran the rest of the race with them half-on and half-off, unable to access any nutrition in my bag or at the checkpoint. Of course I could have asked for some help but, for some numb-skull reason, decided my best option was to run the remaining 14 miles or so with only some fluid intake – not one of my better decisions! I felt I just had to tough it out to the finish and frankly don’t remember much of those last few miles other than feeling bloody miserable. Looking back I think I was in the early stages of hypothermia, the first sign being a number of yawns around 28/29 miles – yes, I was tired, but when was the last time anyone yawned while out running? Finally crossing the finishing line with a heartfelt ‘thank God’ in 6.14.05 I stumbled over to wrap my hands around a cup of hot tea. Later I entertained the others waiting to use the (only) shower with my whining and whimpering as the feeling came back to my fingers, having had to get my gaiters, laces and shoes undone for me (and backpack, waist bag, jacket, etc.)  
Drookit in Glen Ogle

I may have felt sorry for myself but I’m pleased to say did not at any point stop thanking the marshalls, timekeepers, helpers, etc. who had to stand out in the most appalling weather far longer than us runners. There were remarkably few drop outs, 181 runners finishing the race and, to counter my poor effort, there was a very strong ultra-running debut from Louise Beveridge in 4.42.55, coming home 38th overall.
All in all one of my least enjoyable runs but, as they say, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, which leads me nicely to the second part of my weekend’s outing, the Southside Six.
Now in it’s third year of running the race is more popular than ever having sold out in under four hours back in February. There was a remarkable contrast in the weather from the previous day, cold, clear and sunny - wunderbar!!
Julie out on her own!

To cap a great weekend for the Beveridge siblings, leading harrier on the day, 58th overall and 5th senior lady was Julie in a great time of 1.55.08. It is a mark of how much Julie has progressed recently that this was a full ten minutes faster than in the inaugural event of 2011.
Trailing behind Julie were Ian Rae in 1.59.03, a very disappointed Graham Ramage (although he did predict a poor run in advance -don’t we all?) in 2.05.41 and a surprisingly strongly-finishing moi in 2.28.27, only ten minutes slower than last year having fully expected to take around three hours. I had started cautiously but felt stronger and stronger as the race went on eventually picking up my pace over the last 4/5 miles. 
Our yoga mentor Mark Russell, wearing less than most given the temperatures, ran a very decent 2.01.52. Never having run the distance before he felt, on reflection, he had been over-cautious and should have been under the two-hour mark (no pun intended).
Happier than yesterday
  
I would love to see more harriers taking part next time as we saw the lowest turnout of Calderglen vests yet in the event’s three years. This is a great low-key, cheap, local race with a bit of everything – road, concrete, tarmac path, trail, hills (lots), rocks, tree roots, leaves, mud and glaur. And did I mention there are some hills?  Oh and a wonderful hot soup and home baking at the end.
All in all running a hilly 33 miler followed by an equally hilly 16.4 miler is probably not to be recommended but I feel surprisingly good today (Wednesday) with very little stiffness and no pain. The Yoga tonight will only help to speed the repair of the damaged muscles.

5 comments:

CoachAD said...

Well done David and I do agree with you fully:- it was a very silly idea!
Alan

Anonymous said...

Well done David on running both races over two consecutive days! From what I heard from Louise the conditions on Saturday were not good at all.
I must also thank Alison for her support during Sunday's race. I am sure I saw her at least three times at various points throughout the race.
Thanks for your race report too!
Julie

Malcolm Buchanan said...

It seems the older you get the dafter the decision you make. I ca testify to that. Well done old man.

Malcolm Buchanan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Sorry, forgot to credit the photographers - Fiona Rennie, Alison Searil and Gillian Scott respectively. DS