Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Sunday 3 March 2013

Lasswade 10 Mile Race


A race report from Richard Lawton:
As this is the first winter season since 2010 that have been training & running well, I have wanted to do the Lasswade 10 mile race for a few years as it is a not so common distance for competitive road racing and the timing was right. However, suffering all day on Saturday with sinusitis feeling pretty lousy is not ideal race
preparation. So after getting my kit ready and directions I hoped for a good night sleep and be fit for the race. So feeling fresh I left EK this morning for the 52 mile journey to the village of Rosewell, just south of Edinburgh to take part in this very hilly race. As I was not 100% sure where I was going I took my phone with Sat Nav and still managed to get lost (don’t put me, Kenny or Billy in orienteering race
history doesn't favour our navigation skills!)

Finally getting there in plenty of time (90 mins to spare) did some race preparation reading the paper in the car. The race started promptly at 12pm with a slight uphill before it leveled off. You then drop steeply into Roslin Glen, which is then followed by a 1 in 5 climb out of the glen. The first 5 or 6 mile followed this
theme. The last 4 miles (that's if anything is left in the tank) you can stride out a bit.

My target time was sub 80 and my actual time was 82:56. I was hoping for pb today but that was not to be. I can recommend the buffet that Lasswade AC put on with a wide range of sandwiches, homebaking, scones with cream & jam, chocolate biscuits, cakes and the list goes on. The race is even worth doing just for the buffet!

Well done to Richard on adding another worthwhile race to his CV.
Alan

1 comment:

csteven said...

Well done Richard . I done this race a few years ago and it is a really tough but enjoyable 10 mile race although not one I would anticipate a pb. Keep that for Brampton !