Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Saturday 2 February 2013

John Walker - The 3.49.4 Man


Hi guys,
One of my Saturday morning cycling group was relating the tale of the $2 relay race fee. He was the team captain for his local running club when the great NZ John Walker was a member. On a local relay race he was in charge of collecting the race fees. Mr Walker was not forth comming with his $2 and my friend is still looking for the said Mr Walker. Note to Russell, always remember to get the race fees before they become famous!





4 comments:

Kenny said...

Malcolm, it would be a privelige to have a connection with one of the greatest middle distance runners of all time and the man who ran more competitive sub 4 minute miles than anyone else. The last I heard of him was that he was a sheep farmer. Do any of your cycling buddies still have contact with him?
Kenny.

CoachAD said...

Malcolm, if you can make contact with him, we can get John Walker a second claim membership. We will pay his entry fee for the 6-stage as long as he pays the air fare!
Alan

csteven said...

He's on Radio 2 today . I love his taste in 70's music.

Malcolm Buchanan said...

Kenny, John now runs an equestrian shop in Auckland with his wife. If I'm in the area, I'll see if I can get a photo for the blog.