Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Tuesday 14 January 2020

Was It Really That Steep Before!

On the first Saturday of the year, 4 hardy Harriers were out in force at the annual Callander Crags hill race. One was taking on the role as photographer and supporter the other three were climbing up to the Crags. Myself, Russell and Junior Harrier Kai started close to the front as always. Once the brief pre-race brief by Alistair on how to make friends at the kissing gate was done, off we were with the shot of a gun.
The first 200m up on to the trail and the first hill was as crowded as always. Steadily we climbed up through the early hills, this being such a  short 'sprint' hill race you really have to go for it from the off. I climbed quickly with Kai's dad Mark a strong hill runner himself to the top of the gravel hill section and out on to the Crags. I had forgotten just how steep this section was, I reached the top at around 12.50-13.00 mins. Then over the Crags and the descent begins. Here I slipped on a rock and twisted my left ankle, down but not out YET. I took a moment to test the ankle before continuing through the trees and on to the road. Here I had lost time and with a sore ankle, I knew I had to push on the road. Overtaking at least 8 people with a 2:56 km, I was now rocking again, through the trails and to the finish followed. All 3 harriers put in a great performance.
Chris in 30:16,
Kai in 34:54,
Russell in 45:30,

Special mention to Kai, second U14 and a big course PB, Russell as always a great servant for the club, especially as he came straight from a parkrun and finally coach Alan for supporting us and taking photographs on a miserable day. Hopefully, Alan and others will be back to race next year.

Chris
The record field of 130 sets off on the "B" of the Bang from the smoking gun.

1 comment:

CoachAD said...

Nice report Chris and a good, tough it out performance to finish strongly with a twisted ankle, an occupational hazard of hill running. Well done to Russell and Kai (who I see is still wearing his number on his leg!) for representing the Harriers well in a big field.
Alan