Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Sunday 10 November 2019

NATIONAL SHORT COURSE XC


Lorraine and I along with Ben, Charlotte and Jackson took the trip to the east coast to run in the National short course XC.

Lorraine and I had both ran this course before and remembering it being fast and a dry course, that dry that last year the Marshall’s were wetting the course, and we both hoped for a quick time on the day.
Lorraine in the mix.
Last time at Kirkcaldy Lorraine had the chance to race against Laura Muir and this time it was my chance to race against a couple of Olympians as both Callum Hawkins and Andy Butchart were expected to race. However, unfortunately for me and the other male athletes and spectators  Hawkins had heard I was racing and pulled out therefore I only had to take down one Olympian, I jest.

The morning of the race was quite frosty and we both thought this would be the case for the race giving us a better chance of us getting our quick time, however after meeting Russell in the car park and the 6 of us walking across the field to the start we soon found out that whatever frost had hit the east coast it was well and truly thawed out by the time we got there and  the course was actually wet in places.
Charlotte, Ben & Jackson
with Derek Hawkins

Lorraine was the only female harrier running on the day and felt under a bit of pressure to give a good performance. As Lorraine got to the start line the course had started to cut up after the U15 and U17 races, this was going to be a new experience for Lorraine as she had predominantly ran XC races in relatively dry conditions with the recent exception of the Cumbernauld Relay. The gun went off and the ladies were stampeding up the comparative incline on the first lap and in to a windy section of the course at the top of the hill. Lorraine ran her first lap slightly too quick by her own admission after finding herself only 3 rows from the front on the starting line however relaxed in to the second lap and kept within a good pack for the next section. Coming into the final section of the course along the road side and by the football pitch Lorraine began to make her way through this pack taking a few places and with the encouragement of our male Harriers, Frances, Charlotte, Ben and Jackson Lorraine had a storming finish completing the course in 20min 37sec almost a 2min course PB.

Up next were the male Athletes, I had been away doing my own warm up, on the start line trying to psych out Butchart and then met with Jim, Russell, Gordon, Kenny, David and we wished each other good luck as we took our positions. I found myself about 4 rows from the front which is where I wanted to be as I planned to run conservatively on the first lap and not get carried away with the occasion.
Andrew mud plugging at speed
Charging up the hill it was hard to tell if I was over taking or being over took or running to quick as it was a tight squeeze with everyone jockeying for a position, the top of the hill was a quagmire with runners going wide in this section, I opted to plod right through this in proper XC style.
Andy Butchart showing a clean pair of heels
Going down the hill I was beginning to take places and opted to put in a burst on this section. A wee turn back up the hill and back down I was encouraged by former Harrier Neil Green who was spectating, I was feeling great by this point and made sure that no one was passing me today. I legged it to the next section where the course was parallel to the road and again was well and truly cut up, the spikes were doing their best to keep me level as I plunged through this muddy section taking 4 or 5 runners.
Jim who was under constant pressure from Kenny
Round to the end of the first lap and I was encouraged by our entourage to, “get them on the flat!” which I truly did and was feeling great! So great in fact as I ran up the hill I took over a few more runners. Back to the top of the hill and through the quagmire once more,  a Metro Aberdeen runner was ahead, he was my focal point and I duly over took him. Down the hill, round the bend and back up before heading down again over taking a West End Road Runner and I had an EKAC runner in my sights. Heading down to the road the EKAC runner was within striking distance and I took him along this muddy section.
Kenny makes his bid for glory
By this point there were quite a few runners who had been in a relatively tight pack up ahead, as I crossed on to the last section of the course near the football pitches I thought, “ I’m having them!” I ran past a few and an unknown runner tried to keep with me, I could see him on my shoulder I knew I had to kick hard, with the last 250m to go and my now patent grunts and screams of agony I shook him off and took another runner before the line almost catching a 2nd and 3rd runner finishing in a time of 15min 53 sec.
David making the most of his spikes
I love running X country and really wasn’t bothered about what time or position I came in all I wanted to do was put in a good performance and run through the mud.
Russell moving well
The national and district races are great events and I can’t think of any other sport where as an amateur you get to rub shoulders and compete with some of the best athletes in the world.
Gordon keeps the pressure on Russell
Jackson race ready
The Finishing times are as follows according to the Scottish Athletics Provisional Results;

Lorraine Buchanan 20min .37 sec.

Andrew Buchanan 15min .53 Sec

Kenny Leinster 18min .23 Sec.

Jim Holmes 18min .12 Sec

David Wardrope 18min .56 Sec

Russell Couper 19min .29 sec

Gordon McInally 19min .57 sec

Thanks to Andrew for this report. All the photos from Frances and Alan are here.

2 comments:

CoachAD said...

Great report Andrew and well run, all of the Harriers. You make several important points about our sport and about running for a club. In these championship races in particular we get the chance to rub shoulders with world class athletes, to face the same course and the same conditions that they face and to compete as an individual and as a team where every place made up counts (all for less than a tenner!). If ever there was someone you would be glad to have in your team, it is Andrew Buchanan who will always fight for every position.
Alan

Kenny said...

Thanks for a really good write up which captures the spirit of cross country, interestingly the report in today's Herald emphasises how cold it was. Great photographs and thanks to Frances, Alan, Charlotte and Ben for their support on the course and the cakes after the run(Frances).