Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Tuesday 23 July 2019

Run the Blades 10k

This was a race I had contemplated entering last year but by the time I decided to enter it the race was full.  I saw a few people on Facebook registering an interest in this years race and instead of hanging about this year I decided to enter it early.  There is also a half marathon and 50k ultra (perhaps more race reports to come from other Harriers?).  When I entered I knew I had the Heb 3 series before it and therefore I decided just to do the 10K.  Plus it also appealed to me that the 10K was on a Friday night and it was a local race.  The race takes place up at the Whitelee Windfarm.  I have done a few runs up there over the last year both at the visitors centre side and the Ardochrig side so I knew what the terrain would be like.

The race is essentially a run around Lochgoin reservoir.  It starts by running around Brown Hill before heading to Array Road.  From here it was an anti-clockwise run around the reservoir.  At the 7K point there was a hill which a few people had remarked about pre-race.  I felt my recent island half marathons prepared me well for this and after I had got up the hill I found myself moving strongly and overtaking a few guys.  I finished the race in 41.41 and was first female and 12th overall.  This was also a new female course record with the previous record being 43.32.  Well done to Gordon and Marion who also ran the race, with Gordon finishing in 53.06 and Marion in 46.53 - joint 4th with two other competitors.

The weather had stayed dry for the race but it was a bit of a muggy night, quite humid for running.  Unfortunately it came on rain as I was waiting for the prize giving which was a shame as the event organisers had a tented village set up with quite a few food stalls and it would have been great to have sat after the race and had some food.

Overall it was good to go off-road for a change.  The event was very well organised and it is definitely an event I would do again.  It was great to get a local race on a Friday night.

Julie

3 comments:

CoachAD said...

Great result Julie. That is a fantastic time for an off road, undulating course. What a season you are having!
Alan

Kenny said...

Congratulations Julie on a course record and a great win. You are definitely getting the bonus of your Hebridean races and bodes well for later in the year.

Karen said...

Amazing result Julie! Congratulations again :)