Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Tuesday 4 June 2019

A tale of two laces...

Two slightly concerned harriers, Billy and myself, set off for Milngavie last Sunday morning due to injury and over-training respectively. Mr B was worried whether his knee would hold up on the rocky and muddy trails of Mugdock Park and the WHW while I had run/walked a double Conic (Drymen to Balmaha and back) the day before in the company of Ruth, Ian, Gerry and Geo.
It was a deceptively nice morning but as we'd seen the forecast both of us were kitted out with trail shoes which was to prove a wise decision. A very brief warm up followed by a soggy race brief and we were off. We more or less ran together until the first of two hills on the route, less than a mile in, where I started walking. I had decided in advance to do this as I knew my quads were in no shape for hard work and planned to save them for the downhills. As a result Billy was soon out of sight and although, as he told me later, he walked much of the later, bigger hill I wasn't to see him again until I heard his shouts of encouragement as I approached the finish line. Twice during the race I had to stop and tie my laces, a different foot each time - what a complete beginner others must have thought. A first at my age, never before have both laces come undone during an event - I'll hang my head in shame!

As Gordon commented on facebook, Jack and Victor's day out - I guess I would be Victor
Billy covered the 8.5 mile route in 1.19.39 to finish 2nd MV60 while I was a full ten minutes down on my 2015 time in 1.26.13. It's fair to say both of us thoroughly enjoyed splashing and squelching our way in the constant warm rain, being big kids again.
The race winners were Katie White of Garscube Harriers in a new course record of 57.40 and 5th place overall and Matthew Hunter, unattached in 54.55.
As an aside this race puts on one of the better post-race spreads - not a patch on ours of course but very enjoyable all the same. Come along and sample it yourselves next year, if you can get an entry that is - it's sells out fast.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great to see you both out taking part in this race. I had never heard of it before so it was good to read about something new. I must admit that is an important criteria I look for these days - a good post-race spread!

Julie