Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Sunday 18 November 2018

Glen Ogle 33

The Glen Ogle viaduct 
It had been a lovely week, but we had been keeping an eye on the weather forecast, and it didn’t look good. On the start line it was raining cats, dogs, and chickens! I’ve run in fowl weather before so I was prepared!
It’s a race that I’ve run several times now. In fact it’s where I popped my ultra cherry a few years back (don’t go looking that one up….it’s not an injury). It’s an out and back from Killin to Strathyre…a figure of 8 really (you get used to seeing figures of 8 when you run ultras…I’ll never know how some of them beat me!)
Davie, Ruth, and I went up with different expectations. Davie has terrible memories of running this race a few years back when he finished with a touch of hypothermia due to some truly awful weather. He expects bad weather, and he’s almost always rewarded. Ruth (West Highland Way Race legend…..still waiting for the race report Ruth!) hasn’t been running much of late due to a displaced Mojo (that might be an injury), and hoped to use the race as a wee chance to stretch her legs on the trails again. I’ve had a challenging year in terms of injury….in fact my first race this year was not until August (a 42 mile stagger over the latter half of the WHW). I like to come back gently. I have been trying to get my speed up recently (pause for laughs) over shorter distances so wasn’t sure how I’d cope with the 2nd half of the race. It’s all in the preparation though and we got up to Killin in plenty of time to get our usual seat by the open fire at the Falls of Dochart Inn for a bit of pre race hydration.

I read somewhere about the health benefits of Guinness (it may have been on a can of Guinness), so persuaded Davie to have a couple of pints just to make sure we got the full benefit! (I didn't need much persuasion - Davie)





The race team were so concerned about us standing around in what was now, really heavy rain, that the briefing was held indoors.

The BAM team who organise the race have lots of advice for newbies and seasoned runners alike which are designed to get you around safely. Key to getting around seemed to be “MTFU” and “don’t be a fanny!”
BAM-style race directing
My chances of winning the race were given a bit of a set back when on the start line I lost sight of my amigos only to see them at the very back of the field. As is tradition I went back to wish them all the best only to hear the starter’s orders.
As the race began, I found myself way down the field. I‘ve run ultras before and I know it’s better to start slowly and not too fast. But as the race left Killin Main Street and out onto the trail which is predominately uphill, I found it difficult not to get frustrated by folk walking and taking the best underfoot path, forcing anyone running to go around. I guess it’s inevitable as lots of folk are running an ultra for the first time.
There are 4 water stops but you have to bring your own cup! Once you start doing these kinds of races you learn that less is more in terms of nutrition. I tend to think like a marathon runner and stick a couple of gels in my pocket. There’s a option to leave a dropbag at halfway. I usually agonise over what to put in it, and frequently leave most of it on the table.
After 6 miles of climb and descent, mostly on muddy trail, the route takes runners down to the road crossing and over to the long stretch towards the Glen Ogle Viaduct. I have to stress how truly awful the weather was at this point with torrential rain and a fierce headwind.

The route from there takes cycle route 7, over the viaduct, and gently down to Strathyre. At this point, the field stretches out a bit as people find their own pace. It’s a chance to chat to folk. I find the ultra running community, on the whole, a very nice bunch of folk. Conversations cover a wide range of topics but mainly “injuries I currently have that have to be taken into account” and “races that I have taken part in carrying an injury”.

As we got closer to halfway, it was now wetter than a wet day in Wetsville, and hopes of keeping the feet dry long since gone. I was feeling ok at the checkpoint which rather cruelly seemed to be about 18 miles in. The “second half” of the race is mostly a long gradual ascent for about 11 miles, with occasional steep climbs. It was at this point where I think the health benefits of Guinness began to kick in. I suspect my lack of miles may have become evident at this point too. On the slow drag back I became aware of a familiar face running alongside me. Those of you who help out at the juniors will know Graeme Lindsay, who although not strictly speaking a Harrier, has strong connections to the club. We spent an hour or so passing each other and offering encouraging words before he left me with about 2 miles to go.
  The last 3 miles are downhill trail before finishing on the playing field in Killin. It was still raining but as I crossed the line Ruth was there to greet me. She had run for about an hour on the trail, and run back. Not sure if she found her Mojo, but it was nice to see her back. I was huckled inside for a welcome cup of soup and to collect the goodie bag and medal. Those of you who know me, will know I’ve got a thing about medals. As has sadly become the custom nowadays, it was hidden somewhere in the bag. I fished it out and asked a nice race official to place it around my neck - it’s my thing. After a wee recovery, I went over to get my dry gear from the car, just in time to see Davie finish. As is now our practice, we quickly got changed in the gents, and went in for a cup of tea. For the record, the race was won by Shaun Cumming in 3hrs 58:55. First lady home was Alison Rowatt in 4:11:27 and 5th place overall. I finished in 5:43:35, 134th of 379 starters and Davie in 6:20:28, 229th . I’m still drying my gear out...
Might as well finish with another picture of alcohol
Race report by Jim M

No comments: