Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 April 2018

TOM SCOTT ROAD RACE

To use our Presidents words it was a great day for a run. No wind, dry and cool. Only 5 Harriers turned out today, an unusually low turnout for this event due to a variety of circumstances. We had our various warm ups and we stood ready on the start line for the off. I started just behind Andy Buchanan and kept up with him for the first 10 metres and only that far as he had no room to move away. Richard Lawton, Sandy Hayden and Lorraine Buchanan started a little further back. I've ran this race many times over the years when it used to start in Law Village and run back to Motherwell to its present location in Strathclyde park where it tried a rather twisty course in 2004 and switching to its present course in 2005. Its basically up to the top of the Loch and right round to just after the beach then onto the road and back to M&D's before returning to the water sports centre and 1 full lap to complete.

Richard passed me about half a mile in followed by Sandy at the mile. The little hilly section before the beach fair puts a strain on the legs but I still had Sandy about 50 metres in front of me at 3 miles. Richard and Andy were gone. Onto the road section back through the park and your met with the biggest hill on the course and although you feel it your still in the early miles so doesn't hurt the pace too much. a long straight to M&D's at which point I could see that Sandy had moved 100 or so Metres away and still going away so it was just about maintaining the pace as I was on schedule for a course best. This I managed for a while but its a long stretch back to the water sports centre knowing you've got to go round and do it again. Through the 6 mile mark at the car parks and I had lost sight of Sandy on the sweeping bend  but had her back in my sights at the bottom of the loch. She was now over 200 metres in front and still going away and looking strong.
As I turned onto the path I had a wee look back along the road to see if Lorraine was close ( a testimony to the pressure these girls are putting me under, good pressure) but she was not there so head down less than a lap to go and will Sandy start coming back to me and a good time is still on. Passed the beach and the last wee hilly section and this time I really felt it and lost almost 30 secs on this mile and Sandy was now out of sight after this twisty mile.

Through the turning point on the parkrun route so now just the run home and an attempt to pick the pace back up which I did a bit and onto the long straight and another final push for the last mile I now know I'm on for a course best so every second is a prisoner crossing the line in 88.12 and a course best by nearly 5 mins. Andy was by now changed having clocked 62.55 and Sandy and Richard were there too Richard having ran 74.10 which I believe is also a course best and Sandy running 85.54. Just Lorraine to come now and we didn't have to wait long as she crossed the line in 95.10 a really good opener on this course with the London half still in her legs from last week. We had the Harriers fan club out today too with Martin Howell, Neil Green and Mark Saez popping up all over the course with loads of encouragement. Thanks guys it really helps and good runs from all the Harriers today. All the photos are in this album.










Russell

No comments: