Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Tuesday 27 June 2017

A Day in The Lakes Triathlon 25th June 2017

As some of you may know there has been a regular Harrier attendance at the above event for a number of years now in the format of a relay team for the open water swim in Ullswater of 2k, a bike ride now of 48 miles (reduced from 56mls) and a very hilly run of 13 miles.

Sandy had been enrolled for the swim early last year with Alan and Robin Derrick proposing to do the bike and run legs. However as it turned out, Alan and Robin could not manage so Sandy had to be content with myself for the bike and Kenny for the run. At this point perhaps any anticipation of Sandy’s about taking part in any prize giving at the event disappeared over the horizon. However she did call us the “Dream Team” at one point (only briefly mind you) on the Saturday evening, there is motivation for you, though I think she did have her tongue stuck firmly in her cheek as she said it.

Anyway we drove down to Pooley Bridge on the Saturday afternoon to register for the Sunday event, checking all the way on our fellow Harriers highs and lows on the West Highland Way. Despite the problems that needed to be overcome and some that could not you all need to be congratulated on your efforts, you are still “legends”. This of course includes Joanne who completed a terrific solo effort over 17.5 miles in the Midsummer Highland relay with her East Kilbride Ladies relay team.

Breaking tradition, Sandy as team captain on the Saturday evening advised that at school she was a pool champion and having spotted a pool table in the associated campsite complex she dragged Kenny and I kicking and screaming for a beer and a few games to loosen us up for the following day. A new training idea Alan maybe you could advise on it or incorporate into a training camp effort. As it turned out Kenny (the cheeky pool monkey) humiliated Sandy and destroyed me at the pool table, and mentioned that Eddie Reid was next on his hit list.

The Sunday morning briefing completed Sandy was ready for her swim, the lake was pretty choppy and Kenny and I looked at each other as she was entering the water and we both thought we were glad it was her not either one of us. Choppy water or not she competed the distance in 41 mins despite losing her swim cap and having to backtrack for it probably losing a minute or two in the process. A really good effort and 4th fastest ladies time overall. Into transition and the chip was handed over to me with Sandy trying to tell me all about her efforts and Kenny yelling at her to stop talking and to me to get going. To be honest a minute or two on my bike ride was not going to make too much difference.

Anyway off I went dry, sunny but a fairly stiff breeze and as ever it always seems to be in your face. The route was 4 miles out to a 20 mile loop of the local countryside to be completed twice, which included 2 ascents of the Shap then a final 4 mile run back to Pooley Bridge.

I pedalled into the transition at Pooley Bridge ready to fall off my bike and hand over to my runner – who was nowhere in sight !! I should have been a bit prepared for this as normally on the lead up of the path into transition some of your team are there shouting encouragement etc, this was not in evidence and it was the loneliness of the long distance (well it was to me) cyclist who rode in.

I scanned about wondering what to do as I could not leave the transition area with my chip on and thought about asking a marshall to get a tannoy announcement made for team 44 relay runner to get too the transition area ASAP. However just at that, Thank Goodness Harrier vests are distinctive I spotted him swanning about without a care in the world getting his photo taken, proof in accompanying photo link. I shouted a few times with what energy I had left and managed to attract his attention and his warm up run was completed in about 45 secs flat into transition and a somewhat belated changeover. The transition shown was 2mins 11 secs as a matter of interest, however to be honest some of this may have been my fault as Kenny had asked “Realistically what time are you expecting Billy.?  

Realistically I said “Probably somewhere between 3.30 to 4 hrs “. Actually it turned out to be 3hrs 3mins 54 secs to be precise. Not bad for me but it was despite the Shap a fast course and my time was down in the lower 25% but thankfully not last. I am sure that proper cyclists like Gordon and John would consider this a wee run before breakfast so next year guys one of you is in there because I am out.

So Kenny was let off the leash and did not disappoint still strong after his recent marathon and all that training he finished in a superb 1hr 57 mins well up in the top 10% I think.

As predicted we did not win anything , but hey it is the taking part and we all enjoyed our weekend and got some self satisfaction from having completed our individual legs. Who knows what will happen next year but it could be any one of “YOU” wanting a wee change.
Billy

Photo link - https://www.flickr.com/photos/30545490@N06/albums/72157685495792765

3 comments:

CoachAD said...

Well done dream team. As soon as my back is turned you are being led astray the night before the big race boozing, playing pool and goodness knows what else! Fantastic swim by Sandy and great efforts by the experienced members of the team. Wish I could have been there. Maybe next year.
Alan

David said...

Always a great event to be part of and well done you three for getting out and getting it done. That hill is always a belter Kenny!

Kenny said...

David, thanks for the encouragement. I hope all is well please pass my best wishes to the family.The weather will certainly be better than todays rain.I hear you are running well.