Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Wednesday 22 February 2017

Strathaven Striders 'Run with the Wind' half marathon


Photos courtesy of Billy Buchanan are here. More photos now added to the album taken by Kay.

Four harriers travelled the short distance to Strathaven on Sunday morning for the third running of the Striders Run with the Wind half marathon. With Ian Rae wisely deciding not to risk his still-vulnerable foot over thirteen miles on tarmac it left me as the only harrier ever-present at this excellent local event. The weather forecasts in the preceding days had been surprisingly good for the time of year and on the day led to many less jackets, hats and gloves being worn than in previous years although you won’t be surprised to hear I still had my gloves on.


There wasn’t much time for me to chat to my fellow harriers as I kept bumping in to folk every minute or two, in fact I couldn’t look around the hall without spotting someone I wanted to talk to. It’s fast becoming one of life’s pleasures to meet and chat with the many friends I have made over the years through running. Due to the race venue being a primary school Gordon and I were concerned as to how we would cope after the event with the chairs and the boys urinals being only eighteen inches off the ground - we might manage to get down there but getting back up would be an entirely different proposition!
302 runners made their way the mile or so to the start and were soon away down the narrow road heading west into the wind in a balmy ten degrees. A westerly means this is the only section where the field are head-on into the wind, for the remainder of the race it is either behind or across.A couple of miles in I was surprised to see Sandy Hayden about a hundred yards ahead of me although, even then, I was catching her quickly. Pace judgement comes with experience and I’m sure she’ll learn from having gone out way too fast this time.

Around three miles in and the turn north heralded the start of the climb up to Ardochrig which I coped with reasonably well. I had been concerned pre-race that running 14 night-time miles in Glencoe on Wednesday, getting to bed at 04:00, being up ill on Thursday night and then walking up Conic Hill from Balmaha to Drymen on Friday might weaken me for the hills but progress was steady, if unspectacular.
Billy Buchanan, the first of the Calderglen support team, was busy with his camera at the very top of the climb and, with his shouts of encouragement ringing in my ears, I was off on my now-annual charge down the EK side of the hill – I just love flying down here, probably as it’s the only way to recapture any speed I may have had in the past and, needless to say, this was my fastest mile of the race, a sub-7:30. Thoughtfully Kay, along with husband Sean, wee bundle of energy Nathan and Archie the dog, had positioned themselves in a layby a hundred yards or so over the top allowing us slower runners to catch our breath and get a wee bit of speed going for the camera.

At the other end of the hill stood Allan McLellan, also shouting and taking photos – who says us male harriers can’t multi-task? Running along Leaburn (Millwell?) Road I was cheered to see Eddie and Jim, out for a Sunday morning training run. Eddie told me later they ran around the same four roads quite a few times making sure they saw all their clubmates through, cheers guys. It has to be said that one runners’ reaction was a little different, telling them to ‘go away, you’re not helping’ or words to that effect. That harrier shall remain nameless!
I struggled for the next mile or two but by mile nine was beginning to pick the pace up a little but slowed again as mile ten is a long drag. It did however represent the final climbing of the race as the marshalls kept reminding everyone ‘it’s all downhill from mile ten!’ I’d love to say I flew over the last three miles but, in truth, my efforts earlier in the week were by now taking their toll and, although I did overtake a few, I was only just sub-8 minute miling.

I came through the finish in a surprisingly fast 1.52.54, which may be partly accounted for by my GPS reading of 13.04 miles!Andrew J Buchanan was the leading harrier by some distance, coming home in 15th place in 1.24.19 – a pb by ? minutes (he was a bit vague about his existing his best time!) Gordon’s better half Marion O’Connor ran an excellent 1.40.41 and was first in her category by an impressivr four minutes (sadly there were no age group prizes) while Gordon himself ran 1.46.18, which he seemed happy with.
Sandy came home in 2.12.56. It should be noted she hadn’t wanted to take part at all and was only  persuaded to run by treating it as a long training run, mission accomplished Sandy!
  
Robert Gilroy won the men’s race in a new course record of 1.11.25 and Marie Stanley of Garscube Harriers won the female race in 1.28.23. Grant Baillie of EKAC was second overall in 1.13.23. 
Kenny Davidson of Moorfoot Runners and an ex-harrier many of you will remember finished in 27th place in 1.27.12 and sent his regards to all the harriers.
The finishing times times ranged from Robert’s time of 1.11.25 to the final finisher in 2.42.29

I believe Coach has Billy’s photos and will add them to this report later. Should anyone (Allan, Kay?) have photos worth showing, no tears or snotters please, then get them to coach or myself and we will add them too.
PS In case you’re concerned Gordon and I found some adult-sized chairs after the race!

3 comments:

Andrew J Buchanan said...

Great report Davie, I reckon I reckon I took roughly 8 mins off my previous PB, this was at the Edinburgh Marathon, my previous official half marathon time was 1hr 37min. Andy J

Kenny said...

With these PBs on such a hilly course there will be high expectations at the National tomorrow

Andrew J Buchanan said...

Oh no 😨