Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Sunday 1 March 2015

Down by the river races

Well what a horrible morning for running. Today Martin Howell headed down to Cambuslang for the 10k along with his friend James Davidson for company. You may remember James joined us at Brampton this winter. I decided as I couldn't get an entry for the 10k just to continue this weekends speedwork and do the 3k. Too cold to leave the car I just wished Martin well as he headed over to the start as the 3k was a 7mins later start. I went over the road just as they started to catch them on the first straight and give an encouraging cheer. It was now I discovered that 7mins is a long time to keep warm in such cold wind and rain/sleet. Soon the 3k was off and by 1k was stringing out with the wind not too bad as it was mostly side on and found myself running really well considering ive raced a 3k on Friday and 5k Saturday. Went through 1k with a new fastest time on my garmin then went through 1m with a new fastest time. Unfortunately the last k was into the wind with driving freezing rain so lost a bit of time but not much. Finished in 14.17 and 1st vet. Quickly back to the car as I was freezing and heaters on full blast to thaw me out. Watching the route for the leaders coming back and first back was ex Calderglen Harrier Stuart Gibson (Ronhill Cambuslang) just shy of his course record in 31.31. Martin came home in 41.09 a great time in horrendous conditions. He informed me just after the turn about 6k they had driving hail and sleet which makes his performance even better.
I did notice he ran the race with full leggings which I don't care what anyone says does reduce your leg speed but I cant blame him for wearing them in those conditions. Looking forward to the warmer 10k's coming up to see just how fast hes going to get. James was targeting 1hr and succeeded in 58.33. A great race and well organised so it would be great to see more Harriers there in future.
Other results 2nd Ben Stevenson (Edinburgh Uni 32.16)  3rd Robert Gilroy (Ronhill Cambuslang 32.18). 1st Fem Sarah Douglas (Edinburgh Uni  37.54)  2nd Fem  Jo Williams (Lothian RC 38.08) 3rd Fem Melissa Wylie (Dumbarton AC 38.53).

3 comments:

Stuart Gibson said...

Thanks for the mention Russell. I've been following your recent progress (I indeed follow all the Harriers by reading this blog regularly) and am very pleased to see your times going in the right direction. Keep at it.

Malcolm Buchanan said...

Well done Russell !

Martin H said...

Thanks for a first class report Russell, and also well done on your ever improving form, first vet no less! I also would recommend this event as a great starter to the road running calendar. Same as the Strathaven boys and girls last week, the weather just added a bit of spice!