Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Monday 9 February 2015

Devilla 15k


Yes, finally another race report. Yesterday, on a beautiful sunny Sunday morning, I made the short journey over the river Forth to Police Scotland Headquarters at Tulliallan. No, I had not been requested to surrender myself, as the less charitable among you will have assumed, but instead had entered the Devilla Forest 15k trail race.
I only received a late entry from the waiting list a few weeks before and, as I couldn’t afford to fall any further behind in my ultra training, was unable to tailor my running for the shorter distance so resigned myself to just plodding around the woods. Please note the same excuse will apply to next week’s Kirky 12.5k and the following Sunday’s Strathaven half!

The organisers, Carnegie Harriers, could not be faulted on any aspect of the day even arranging the weather in our favour meaning that what is normally a muddy route became, in the words of Monty Python,  ‘something completely different’. Race registration was also superb, the strict order being collect number then chip then beer. Numbers were carefully marked as the beer was dished out, Carnegie, although named after the famous philanthropist, clearly well aware of most runners’ proclivity for collecting more than one! (Harvieston’s Schiehallion, if you are interested and given to one of my sons as, sadly, I’ve never liked lager)
The race itself was mainly heads down keeping an eye out for ruts, tree roots, mud and the occasional patch of ice. I kept what felt like a decent pace going until encountering the only significant hill of the day, just after halfway, at which point my ultra instinct must have kicked in as I found myself walking before my brain had sent any such signal to my legs! In my defence it should be noted I was already two-thirds of the way up the hill before this happened. What pleased me most was the fact I had sufficient strength in reserve to kick on when I spotted the 1k to go marker although, having failed to recce the finish, (yes coach, I should know by now) I was praying there were no hidden nasty (uphill) surprises to come over the final 1,000 metres. Thankfully all was steadily downhill and I overtook six or seven competitors with my version of a sprint (in my mind a graceful gazelle but in reality probably more like a wounded gnu) on my way to the line, finishing in 1.22.45 for 321st place from 506 finishers.

I managed to pip at the post an ultra-running legend from the host club, one Fiona Rennie, who confided in me after the finish that ‘she really doesn’t like these short distances’! For those that don’t know of her she collected her crystal goblet awarded for ten! finishes in the WHW race just last year the same as our own Ian Rae.
The winner was a Johnny Lawson of Portobello RC in 54.51, which is sub-six minute miling over an undulating, muddy and icy course. Fantastic running! The leading lady was the host club’s Joanna Wilson, only seven minutes or so behind him in 1.02.36. I also noted although didn’t spot him on
the day our old pal Benny Rooney of EK Tri Club who ran 1.17.28 for 241st place.

Note to Sandy, Carnegie Harriers sadly saw fit to place me in the V60 category and not the V40!

1 comment:

Davie Searil said...

I've just learned from the official results that both the male and female winners broke the respective course records and the second-placed female was also inside the previous best.