Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Sunday 7 April 2013

Tom Scott 10 Mile race

It was a fine Spring morning for the latest GP race which also incorporated the West District 10 Mile Championships, The SVHC 10 Mile championship and Scottish Athletics GP race 1. As the tempreture was low we were all keen to get going but there was a small delay while the organisers got themselves ready and then we were off. Eddie had managed to get himself in front of me before the start (not sure how that happened) so I never headed him but the rest all moved past and away within the first couple of hundred yards. I took a steady start to try and run the same pace I had ran at Alloa and was only just off it but through 6 miles I was inside my target time but with tempretures starting to rise I knew it was going to drop. As I started the final lap the mile times started to plummet but I wasn't too dismayed as I hadn't had a good sleep the night before and I was still well inside any time I had ran the course before so as I dragged myself over the line it was almost 2 mins faster than my previous course best (1.33.06). Nearer the front it looks like Eddie Reid and Stephen Reilly had a good battle and surely must have ran most of this together with Stephen running 1.07.07 with Eddie not far behind in 1.07.25. Next Harrier in and running very consistently despite a lot of overseas work commitments was David Herbertson (1.10.57) closely followed by Kenny Leinster (1.11.10). Just as well he is running well enough to keep David in sight otherwise who knows where he might have gone. Also keeping close quarters was Jim Holmes probably just making sure Kenny stayed on course (1.11.19).

We then had our only Female representative of the day with Julie Beveridge  again running very consistently with (1.12.23) and I believe putting herself into the lead in the Ladies  scratch championship. As we move down the field we had John McBride running another solid performance on the road (1.15.32). Next in was Richard Lawton who has been struggling all week to rid himself of a niggle he picked up at Livingston last week but managed a very respectable (1.22.31). Then of course as mentioned earlier was me. Winning times today were Robbie Simpson (Deeside Runners) 50.25 and for the Ladies Fiona Matheson (Falkirk Victoria Harriers) 58.08.
Thanks to Sandra, Frances and Dorothy for their support today.

Thanks to Frances for the photos, more of which are here. The album will be updated with more photos at the end of the week.
Alan

No comments: