Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Saturday 21 April 2012

Lochaber marathon report


Despite the forecasts of snow for the weekend the weather was nigh on perfect for the 29th running
of the Lochaber marathon last Sunday. After catching up with ex-harrier Alan Cullie before the race
I was soon watching him disappear into the distance as I started cautiously having blown up badly

over the latter stages of the D33 ultra four weeks before.

My longest runs since then had only been a couple of ten milers so headed off in the direction of
Mallaig with a conservative target of ten minutes per mile (4.20 pace)
Thankfully the benefits of the long winter months training were still in my legs as I seemed to gain
a little time with every passing mile but still tried to keep my pace under control. I had a bit of a
wobble around mile 22 on a gentle but seemingly unending hill which led, surprisingly, to a strong
last four miles. I was aware of having something in reserve and managed to finish in fine style,
overtaking around a dozen runners within the last mile and practically sprinting the final 500 yards. 
As it turned out my last gasp effort should have been unnecessary as numerous Garmin wearers had
already forcibly told the organisers that the course was around 26.5 miles in length, around 500
yards too long – can I therefore claim this as another ultra?
As Russell can see from the photo above the swing bridge over the Caledonian Canal was in place
both times I needed it to be, no diversions over the lock gates for me!
Alan meanwhile had been spotted running strongly just past the turn but must have faded badly as
his official finishing time was 3.28.07, well outside his usual capabilities. Needless to say he wasn’t
around by the time I finished, in 4.17.01, as he had to travel back to EK that day. Alison and I, on the
other hand, headed back to the Ben Nevis Hotel, for a very relaxing swim and an even more relaxing
session in the jacuzzi!  
I was 323rd from 415 finishers in times ranging from 2.38 to 6.04
Davie
PS all the very best to Mary, Scot, Stephen and Graham in the VLM this coming Sunday, I’ll be
watching out for you from my sofa!!

No comments: