Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Sunday 17 April 2011

DeafBlind Canal Bank 10k

A tight competition between Scot, Stephen and Eddie

Ten harriers travelled to Bishopbriggs on Saturday for the Deafblind Canal Bank 10K, the 12th race in the Grand Prix series.  The omens for myself weren't good the day before the race when I dropped a full jar of marmalade on my wee toe, making it painful to run. Then Coach AD text me to say that he was unable to make the race. I responded with sympathy and disappointment before promptly texting Russell to tell him I wanted to play my joker!!!

Arriving at the Leisuredome, Mandy was almost traumatised at the sight of a harrier getting changed in the car park!! A harriers vest and white underpants was not a good look!  I'll save the person's blushes and not name them but all I'll say is it wasn't Frances (but she did overtake them early in the race!!!).  Not sure why there was a need for a quick change in the car park but, as it is the transition area for the forthcoming Bishopbriggs Triathlon, maybe he was getting some last minute practise!

The course itself is not conducive to fast times but you would be hard pressed to find a more scenic race in the Glasgow area.  It is strange that times are so slow as, apart from one brutal climb late in the race, the course is relatively flat.  Maybe it's because the course is mainly off-road along the canal bank and, according to some of our GPS techno geeks, the route was slightly longer than 10K.
Martin takes the win!

Within 400m of the race starting, I found myself in the alien position of being in the lead and decided to just enjoy it while it lasted. The first 3K loop takes you back to the Leisuredome, where most of the spectators were waiting to cheer on all the runners.  The support was fantastic with people shouting to me that I was going to win.  Suddenly I felt the pressure not to let them down & the negative thoughts started to creep in that my lead was being reduced.  Thankfully though, I didn't do a Rory McIlroy and have a triple bogey, although my nose was a bit runny by the end!! I was delighted to hold on to my lead and win with a time of 36.59. Completing a fantastic double for the harriers, and enjoying her first race win, Frances was first lady home in a time of 44.05.

Second harrier home was Stephen Reilly who managed a respectable 40.10 despite nursing a hangover from a 3am finish the night before!  Scot Hill wasn't far behind Stephen but missed out on the household bragging rights for a few weeks with a time of 40.25, a good sign though that Scot is returning to form.

Coming in between Stephen and Scot, and splitting the family duel, was Stephen Phimister who, after a sudden change of child minding plans, unexpectedly found himself able to race!  Not before he'd polished off a Saturday morning fry up though!  Impressively he still somehow managed to pull off a good time of 40.15 despite a full stomach!!

Stuart Waugh delivered another vintage time of 41.25. He was closely followed by Jim Holmes who achieved a superb PB for the course of 41.31. Despite a calf injury and illness, Eddie Reid bravely soldiered to a time of 42.17.  George "Pants" Stewart crossed the line in approximately 46 minutes and proceeded to explain to all the harriers he had a problem with the wind but did confirm his pants were still white!!! Russell was delighted to finish ahead of schedule in a time of 52.05.  He was pleased as this was big improvement on his performance at last week's race.     

Frances on her way to victory
The day was only slightly marred when Eddie mistook my well earned goodie bag as a dustbin for his banana skins and rubbish!!!  Thankfully my goodies were retrieved intact!

All in all it was a great turn out of the harriers for a very good cause.  The high turnout from Calderglen was commented on by both the race organisers and the Provost, who started the race.
Some photos to follow courtesy of Geo and Mandy. Thanks to Sandra, Maud, Mandy, Geo and Irene for their support.

Very well done to all and thanks to Martin for a great race report. Photos from Kenny Phillips and Mandy are all here.

4 comments:

The Jimmi Henshite Experiences said...

Oops should be Deaf/Blind!!

What time did Frances record on her victorious run?

Thanks

Ian

CoachAD said...

Frances ran 44:05. Unfortunate typo now corrected too.

Thanks
Alan

Scot said...

Great race report, but I was 3rd Harrier followed by Stephen Phinster.

Martin Duthie said...

Sorry Scot. Stephens time was 40.51 instead of 40.15. Must've written it down wrong. I also meant to thank Barry for being out and about on the course taking photos. I know it's a massive effort for him to get to our races.
Cheers Martin