Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Saturday 11 November 2017

WHO STOLE ALL THE MUD

I don't think ive ever ran a drier cross country as the one we had today in Kirkcaldy. Shoes are still clean and no mud to clean off the legs.
It was a relatively flat course of 2 laps with a couple of twists and turns with the only real uphill off the start line. After the Junior races the Ladies lined up alongside Olympian Laura Muir. This was Calderglens chance to put themselves on the world stage but it wasn't to be as Laura won the race by a distance but we had some great performances from our Ladies. Julie Beveridge who has been suffering with a cold this week still came out on top and looked strong throughout finishing in 16.50.
Joanne continues to look stronger every race she does just now and with another fine performance today finishing in 17.11. Frances Ferguson never one to miss a race will remember the days when she was the solo representative for the club in races like this. She had a bit of a race on today with Kirsty Wilson who after a good start picked up an ankle injury due to a photographer getting too close to the athletes. Eventually Kirsty was overhauled by Frances and had to get the ankle strapped up by the medical team once finished. Frances ran 17.58 with Kirsty 18.07 (hope the ankle recovers quickly). Sandy Hayden was our next harrier to finish but after admitting she had been out all night on Thursday I'm surprised she made the start line. Better rested I'm sure she will continue to reduce her times (20.20). Finally Lorraine Buchanan taking approx. 2 mins off her time at Hamilton continues to go from strength to strength and wont be long before shes clipping my heels in other races running a time today of 22.22.
Next up was the mens race and we had 6 running in this too. A field of just over 400 so the usual cavalry charge up the hill to the 1st corner and I found myself dropping towards the back as expected. The rest of the Harriers I could see in front finding there places within the field. I found myself with a 25metre gap in front and a couple of guys on my shoulder so had to keep working hard to keep them behind ( didn't want to drop to the back as ive been there before in this event). Eventually I had moved away from them by the end of lap 1 and had the 25 metres to the next couple in front of me so started to pull them in with a little bit extra effort and passed them early on the 2nd lap and found I had a 40 metre gap to the next one up but felt I was running faster than him so kept working and got him with a fair bit to go probably about 700m. My next target was another 40 metres in front but was running out of race and so it was to be as he finished about 15 metres in front of me but satisfied that I was catching and passing on the 2nd lap. Our 1st Harriers was Andrew Buchanan continueing his strong performances this year with 15.01. Next in was Stephen Phimister who decided after Cumbernauld he needed more of these races ran another great race coming home in 16.13 a big improvement on Cumbernauld. Making one of his rare race appearances was Geo Ferguson giving Richard Lawton a run for his money. The 2 of them had a close battle most of the way with Goe moving well enough clear on the 2nd lap Geo running 18.14 and Richard 18.32. Gordon McInally is still a wee bit out of sorts with his running but his performances are still strong and will get better. He was the only one I kept in sight throughout the race with him going well clear early on but the gap staying much the same on lap 2. Gordon finished in 19.31 with myself finishing in 20.30.
A good course for the event but could do with about 10 days rain on it. I know we moan about mud but it is cross country and should have some.
Thanks to family and friends for the support today.

No comments: