Upcoming Harriers Events

Search This Blog

Sunday 11 February 2018

LIVINGSTON ICE RINK (HALF MARATHON )

I Often tell people not to enter a Half Marathon before March. Today I found out why and was left wondering why I hadn't followed my own advice. I found this event on the Scottish Athletics website last weekend and having never seen this event I thought why not. 2 reasons for doing it one that I have only ran over 8 miles once since Brampton and two it would let me see if its a good race. I would say later in the Spring yes but with the weather today it was very tough. The race starts at West Lothian College just behind the finish at Almondvale Stadium. On my wee jog up to the start I discovered this hill was a sheet of ice and the race starts by going down it so a tippy toe start and near the front to avoid trouble. We were soon onto muddy trails along the river Almond for a couple of miles before climbing towards the highest point of the 6 + 4 stage relay course. This was mostly ice on tarmac paths and you find yourself where possible running on the grass verge. Eventually you start to descend and for any that have done the relay long leg its the same path and a bit of relief as although it was still icy this path is always covered in pine needles thus giving a little bit of grip. Turning onto the short leg of the relay then the long leg after the split we where climbing again and soon beyond the hospital again with several Bambi moments ( they fair take it out the legs) before heading back down to the river Almond. The latter part of the course is done on the other side of the valley and again climbing up icy paths but the worst was to come. With tired legs I would normally look forward to the fairly steep descents back towards the finish but with the ice today I had to hold onto railings to stay on my feet at times. Finished in 2.13.01 which compares with last years times favourably on what was a tough day at the office. I would do it again if it where held at a different time of year but all in all it was a good training run.

2 comments:

CoachAD said...

Well done Russell. As you say, its a complete lottery entering a road race in this country at this time of year. Should have gone to the Barcelona Half today where Luke Traynor of Giffnock North set the third fastest half marathon time by a Scot of all time (61:57). I'm guessing there was no ice there!
Alan

Kenny said...

Russell, glad to see your adventurous spirit is page and well as you check out new races.I hope the ice has cleared by the time we get to the relays.